Bissell has taken its workhorse Little Green Machine and made it even “greener” in this compact light weight model. The Little Green 1400-7 is remarkable for being 100% constructed of post consumer recycled plastic in what Bissell proudly promotes as a closed loop construction process. Only PVC free plastics are used in tank and hose, making them recyclable at the end of the Little Green’s working life.
Enviromental Carpet Steam Cleaner
The commitment to environmental responsibility extends to the composition of the carpet steam cleaning solutions designated for use with the unit. The available formulas are heavy metal, phosphate and dye free, and do not incorporate optical brighteners. Equally impressive, Bissell goes for Green gold by using 75% post consumer materials in it box and inserts and does not use Styrofoam or PVC in its packaging.
Bissell proudly proclaims that in 2007, using 30% post consumer recycled content allowed them to save over 1 million pounds of high density polyethylene in their manufacturing process—an impressive statistic improved upon in recent years with their 100% post consumer manufacturing commitment.
Little Green Machine Review
The Little Green 1400-7 has a three inch cleaning head which sprays a 4 inch wide spray of water to penetrate not only the stain but any under-the-carpet horizontal seepage. The 2-3/4 amp motor provides excellent suction to life up spills before they can set in. A powered Tough Stain brush attachment removes stubborn, set in stains and also efficiently cleans up fresh spills.
The unit is designed to require low maintenance; a quick rinse of the dirty water storage tank is generally all that is required to ready the machine for the next use.
The 15 foot cord makes the Little Green 1400-7 ideal for use on staircases; its flexible hose is also convenient for use on upholstery and car interiors. Set up for use is minimal, with the unit being ready to go within moments of being removed from the box and plugged in. Even filled with water and solution, the machine is lightweight, easily carried by a built-in hand grip, and also features onboard storage of the brush attachment.
While the unit is designed for water mixed with solution to be dispensed by the clean water tank, many end users recommend having a spray bottle of solution and using the Little Green 1400-7 with water only to make detergent last longer. Many reviewers claim that the machine cleans well with water alone on all but the toughest stains.
• Compact multipurpose deep cleaner redesigned with a 95 percent reduction in PVC.
• 2-3/4 amp motor
• Strong spray and suction remove tough stains and spills
• cleans and helps dry in 1 step
• Parts made from post-consumer recycled plastic
• PVC-free tanks and hose
• Tough-stain brush attachment included
• liquid cleaning formulas do not contain any heavy metals, optical brighteners, phosphates, or dyes
• 15 ft power cord
• packaging Styrofoam free; box is made from recycled materials and is also recyclable
• Measures 9-1/10 by 18-4/5 by 13-1/4 inches
• Weighs 1.5 pounds
What’s in the Box:
- Little Green 1400-7
- Powertool brush
- 1-year limited warranty
Recently found on Amazon for 89.99. Other online vendor prices range from $95.99 to $115.
• Compact and light weight, fully portable to a variety of cleaning locations
• “Green” in construction, PVC free components and post consumer plastic used in tools and solution tank
• Little Green carries environmental friendly packaging, no Styrofoam and box and interior package elements made from 75% post consumer cardboard.
• Detergent solutions are free of heavy metals, phosphates, dyes, or brighteners
• Easy assembly, easy to use.
• Ideally suited for pet clean ups on carpets.
• Small size makes for easy storage
• Ideal for cleaning upholstery, car interiors, stairs.
• Goes through solution too quickly.
• Hose could be longer for use on stairs
• Spray field wider than nozzle, resulting in more “wet” to suction up and wasteful of cleaning solution
• Tank capacity small, approximately 10 minutes use experienced on solid stain removal.
• Amount of water and solution expended does not equal amount in collection tank, too much left in carpet extending drying time.
• Sprayer prone to clogs (can be reopened with needle poke)
• Very much a spot cleaner, bigger stains require a lot of elbow grease and repeated passes
Mike Nikko is a blogger with over 15 years of experience. I will bring you the best product reviews and other useful life experiences, tips to increase height, tips to improve health… If you have any questions, feel free to ask Mike Nikko!