The Bissell ProHeat 2X Select Pet Upright Deep Cleaner is rare among carpet steam cleaners in that its design includes an onboard heater that heats up hot tap water an additional 25 degrees for better cleaning performance. The Proheat 2X boasts powerful suction from a 12 amp motor.
The Bissell Proheat 2X has a wide (12 inch) cleaning nozzle with 12 rows of Bissell’s patented Dirt Lifter power brushes. The unit comes with three onboard tools for stains, upholstery and crevices as well as an additional powered 6 inch long pet stain eraser tool.
A safety feature of the heating system is that it will not heat water beyond 190 degrees Fahrenheit and for use on wool or oriental type rugs, and more delicate upholstery, the heating feature can be turned off completely. A heat indicator light provides quick assurance whether or not the heating system is in operation.
The Custom Clean feature automatically mixes the right amount of clean water with the detergent solution depending upon which of four settings is chosen: light clean, normal, heavy traffic, or water rinse. The tank is a two in one design that keeps clean water separate from dirty water and both tanks are easily removed from the unit while it is in an upright position unlike some other deep carpet cleaner models.
The machine is a bit bulky at 32.8 pounds, and it is recommended that it be moved by the built in carry handle only when the machine is empty of water and solution. The weight may be an issue in moving the Proheat 2X from floor to floor in multi-level houses where rolling is not possible.
In normal cleaning mode the pattern of cleaning is one wet stroke forward, one wet stroke backward towards you, then one dry stroke forward and one dry stroke backward. Getting into this pattern will offer the best performance and cleaning action according to end users.
Priced at approximately $180 dollars, this is a good entry level consumer end use model for the price.
Some users have reported durability problems especially once the machine is out of warranty, but others have used for years without issues occurring. Such disparity in experiences may be attributable to various factors including how often the machine is cleaned (recommended: clean and unclog after each use); whether water used is mineral heavy “hard” water or “soft”, insufficient attention to manual instructions. Good reviews outweigh the bad on various internet review sites. As always, your mileage may vary.
- 12-Amp upright deep cleaner for carpet, upholstery, and stairs
- Includes a built-in heater with indicator light
- 1-gallon capacity 2-in-1 tank
- 12 rows of dual Dirt Lifter power brushes
- Hose for stair and upholstery cleaning.
- light clean, normal, heavy traffic, or water rinse settings
- 3-inch Tough-stain, 4-inch upholstery and spraying crevice tools
- 6 inch pet stain eraser tool.
- Edge sweepers
- surround suction
- ultra-smooth wheels
- an extra-long 30-foot power cord
- a carrying handle
- Easy-to-remove nozzle for quick cleanup.
- Measures 19 by 13 by 44 inches
- Weighs 32.8 pounds
What’s in the Box:
- BISSELL ProHeat 2X Select Pet Upright Deep Cleaner
- 16-ounce bottle of Tough Stain
- 16-ounce bottle of Pet Formula
1-year limited warranty
Recently found on Amazon for around $180
- Tough construction
- Built in heater heats already hot tap water up 25 more degrees, but will not exceed water temperature of 190 degrees
- Heater can be switched off for use on delicate and wool rugs
- Powerful suction from 12 amp motor
- 2 in one tank keeps clean and dirty water separate
- Water tank removes with unit in upright position
- Rinse cycle removes soap residue from carpet, especially important for users with small children.
- Attachments easy to install and take off
- Cleaner is heavy, 32.8 pounds which may make maneuvering around house difficult for some users.
- Shields over nozzles and brushes fastened with screws, making taking off to clean both after each use unnecessarily complicated.
- Unpowered wands not very effective.
- Clean water must be replaced before runs entirely out or machine will continue to operate with detergent only resulting in soap wastage.
- Goes through water quickly, must be refilled several times for average room.
- Pet hair will not be picked up completely, must pick up hairballs from carpet after use. This is warned about in manual but may be off-putting to some users.
- Some users report short life on spray system which warranty will not cover unless “manufacturer’s defect”
- Leaking on initial start up is noted, stops as operation continues.
- Heat unit can clog and is very difficult to get to for cleaning.
Mike Nikko is a blogger with over 15 years of experience. I will bring you the best product reviews and other useful life experiences, tips to increase height, tips to improve health… If you have any questions, feel free to ask Mike Nikko!