Have you ever found yourself wishing you could add a few more inches to your height naturally? While our genetics largely dictate our ultimate height, the idea of gaining a bit of extra stature has intrigued many. Fortunately, there are various methods and dietary choices that might assist you in reaching your height potential. Among these methods, stretching exercises have garnered significant attention for their potential to contribute to height increase, even after a certain age.
In this article, we’ll delve into the fascinating question: “Can stretching really help you grow taller?” We’ll take a closer look at the science behind it and unveil the top 12 stretching exercises that have proven effective in aiding height enhancement. So, if you’ve ever dreamt of standing a little taller and boosting your self-confidence, read on to uncover the secrets of stretching your way to new heights.
It is the most common and widely followed stretch to increase height since it supports the muscles in your calf. Moreover, it adds depth to your abdomen and extends your spine.
- Stand erect and lift both hands into the air.
- Gently bend your upper body and try to reach your feet with your fingertips,
- Avoid bending your knees (but a little bend in the knee is fine).
- Keep this position for 20-30 seconds and repeat ten times a day.
This stretching exercise is not recommended for older adults because it might restrict the anterior head of the vertebrae, which could make them shorter.
Performing cobra stretch helps enhance the muscles in your arms, chest, and back, which are necessary to improve height. It also lowers inflexibility in the body, enhancing the arm muscles. Plus, it guarantees nutrient absorption better by boosting oxygen and blood circulation in the body.
- Lie down on your belly and palms facing down at level with your shoulders.
- Slowly push your hands and lift your upper body.
- Straighten your elbows and bend backward as much as possible.
- Keep this position for 10-20 seconds.
- Perform 4 or 5 times a day.
This stretch is helpful for strengthening hamstrings and calf muscles. It even supports digestion, calms the brain, and energizes the body.
- Rest on all fours and face downwards.
- Gently push the weight backward with your hips moving backward as well.
- Keep the legs straight and push them to the rear until your body creates an inverted V-shape.
- Keep this position for 10-20 seconds.
Forward spine stretch
This leg stretching exercise is simple yet efficient for proper articulation of the spine. Also, it focuses on the hamstrings, and back and abdominal muscles.
- Sit up straight with both legs spread out.
- Bend your spine forward and touch your fingertips or heels to extend your leg muscles.
- Keep this position for at least 10-20 seconds.
- Slowly move back to the sitting position.
It is highly suggested to do this exercise early in the morning with an empty stomach.
If you want to maintain a proper posture, the pelvic shift is a great choice. It helps strengthen glute muscles, lower abdominal muscles, and the lower back. And all these might extend your muscles to make you grow taller.
- Lie on the mat in a straight position.
- Place both hands at the side of the body and bend the knees.
- Put the pressure on the foot and gently raise your hips. Remember to keep your back straight.
- Then slowly bring back the lower back at the base.
- Repeat it again and again (about 8 to 10 times per day).
Pilates roll over
Pilates is a great technique to stretch your spine and the vertebrae in your neck to provide length to your upper body.
- Lie on the mat with both arms along your sides and palms facing down.
- Start stretching your legs towards the ceiling and bend them until they reach the floor.
- Bring your legs back and rest them on the floor.
It should be noted that touching the floor will be difficult at first. But no pain, no gain.
Dry land swimming
This exercise includes the movement of alternate leg-hand pairs. It mainly concentrates on the lower back and thigh muscles, leading to adding inches to height.
- Lie down flat on your stomach with your arms straight in front of you and palms facing down.
- Lift your left arm higher than your right arm while raising your right leg off the floor at once.
- Keep this position for seconds, and then repeat with your right hand and left leg.
Low lunge arch
Arching your upper body and back is a great way to increase height effectively. And this stretching exercise allows you to tone and extend your back and calf muscles. Also, it gives toned arms, making you look beautiful physically.
- Kneel with your right foot forward and bend it.
- Place your left foot backward in a straight line and keep the knee touching the ground.
- Place both hands with palms together and bend your upper body backward. Breathe in.
- Keep this position as long as you possibly can.
- Turn back to an erect position and breathe out.
- Repeat the same with a left knee forward and a right knee backward.
Performing side stretch makes your muscles flexible, allowing them to function, grow, and elongate properly. Also, it helps burn amounts of calories and make the sides and belly of the waist firm.
- Stand tall with your spine straight.
- Raise both arms over your head and join palms together.
- Bend on either side alternatively.
- Try to keep this position for at least 5-10 seconds.
The wall stretch helps refine your calves, which plays a vital role in the healthy functioning of the body, such as decreasing soreness, preventing injury, and improving flexibility.
- Stand straight in front of a wall.
- Put both hands on the wall for support.
- Put your right leg forward with your heel on the ground and bend your knee.
- Push your left leg backward and extend it as much as possible.
- Keep this position for seconds and repeat with the other leg.
This powerful stretching exercise is helpful for increasing height because it mainly strengthens the arms, chest, legs, knees, and ankles. Also, it strengthens the alignment of the spine.
- Stand straight with your legs wider than hip-width.
- Place both hands in a straight line with the shoulders.
- Bend toward your right side and touch your right foot with your right hand.
- At the same time, stretch your left arm in the air and look towards it.
- Keep this position for seconds and repeat on the other side.
Last but not least, bar hanging is known as one of the most effective stretching exercises to increase height because it extends the lower torso and reduces the pull on the vertebrates.
- Jump and grasp the rod or bar.
- Keep your palms facing outwards.
- Keep this position for as long as possible.
If this is your first time, you should put a rod one or two inches above your height so that you have more space for body movement.
All the stretching exercises mentioned above are helpful for making you grow taller. Your job is to pick the one you like most and reap all the benefits to improve your height.
- Related post: Top 15 Effective Tips To Increase Height Naturally
Mike Nikko is a blogger with over 15 years of experience. I will bring you the best product reviews and other useful life experiences, tips to increase height, tips to improve health… If you have any questions, feel free to ask Mike Nikko!