What’s causing your back to ache? Well, before we touch upon that let’s discuss what back pain is. Back pain, according to the Mayo Clinic, USA estimates that about 80% of Americans will suffer from lower back pain at least once during their lifetime. In fact, according to the Mayo Clinic, back pain is the most common reason why people are absent from work and visit the doctor’s office. Another health service, the NHS (National Health Service) that is located in the UK claims that back pain sufferers are mainly from working people, but there’s something deeper than working in an office that causes the issue. Despite so many people around the globe suffer from back pain, those the most affected are between the ages of 30 and 60 years.
The structure of the back is very sophisticated and complex, the main structure of the back is the spinal column. The spine is the body’s most important bone structure, which includes the cervical, thoracic, lumbar, sacral vertebrae. Since the back has a composition of muscles, ligaments, disks, bones, tendons, and other complex structures that are cushioned with cartilage pads, the problem with the above mentioned can lead to back pain; however, in few cases, the source of back pain may not be found. According to the painful area can be classified as upper back pain, back pain, lower back pain, and neck pain.
What is the cause of back pain?
The first reason is due to the strain that’s the common culprit in back pain. When muscles are strained it’s for the reason that one has lifted something too heavy, lifted something improperly, or moved awkwardly. Other reasons for strain are due to muscle spasm and strained ligaments.
The second reason is due to structural problems such as ruptured disks to arthritis. A ruptured disk is when there is too much pressure on the nerve that causes back pain.
The bulging disks can also result like a ruptured disk due to too much pressure. The sharp shooting pain as described after you’ve awakened from a peaceful dream mentioned above could very be sciatica that’s caused by a bulging disk or hernia disk. Though, the structural problems aren’t just limited to disks as other reasons can be due to arthritis, when the space between joints and the spinal cord become too narrow. Other factors such as scoliosis when the spine curves abnormally, and osteoporosis when the spine becomes too porous and brittle, increasing the chance of compression fractures to occur, can lead to back pain.
The third reason is due to a bad bed mattress. This is one of the main reasons why so many people suffer from back pain. A bed mattress is supposed to support your back by straightening it; however, as the bed ages, its springs become worn out where you sleep most. This causes the bed at certain sections to become sunken it, making it uneven.
Why a good mattress is so Important for your back?
There are ways to deal with back pain; however, when it boils down to sleep, it’s important to sleep. Sleeping rejuvenates the body by repairing torn tissue and muscles and giving your pressured nerves and joints some relief. Sleeping on a professional bed mattress is a sure remedy to both ease and treats back pain. There are 3 ways that sleeping on a professional bed mattress can alleviate the issue.
- The bed mattress is no older than eight years as mentioned before the materials in the mattress break down over time, and become less supportive on the body.
- Create a supportive bed using plywood or by placing it on the floor for a stiffer and faster method.
- Learn body mechanics – Not sleeping on the stomach for lower back pain, placing a plush pillow underneath the knees, or underneath the legs to create a balance.
Top 7 Picked Best Mattresses For Back Pain
Zinus 12 Inch Gel-Infused Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress
The Zinus Green Tea mattress is designed to be more supportive and comforting when it comes to back pain relief. The mattress offers a unique multilayer design. It assures will sleep well throughout the night without waking up in the morning with back pain.
This mattress comprises different types of foam along with memory foam layers. This mattress has egg crate support foam which makes sure the uppers layers of softer foam will provide great comfort. The Zinus Green Tea Mattress is structured perfectly to support your whole body in order to maintain an ideal posture for relieving back pain. It works really great and that’s why people with lower back pain and neck pain have admired its performance.
Snuggle-Pedic Luxury Mattress That Breathes
The Snuggle-Pedic mattress is also based on a new concept. It is beneficial especially for people living an active life and suffering from back pain. It is offering patented air flow system which makes this mattress’s breathability 100 times better than other mattresses. It is something unique. It is equipped with Flex-Support Technology to provide better pressure relief than other mattresses. Numerous other features turn it into a sleeper’s dream for comfort and its back pain relief features.
Sunrising Bedding Natural Latex Mattress
Sunrising Bedding is a popular brand which has recently introduced a new line of mattresses for all types of sleepers. Its 10” natural latex mattress is the best pick for people suffering from back pain. This particular mattress offers exceptional body cushioning and support to maintain a great body posture during your sleep. This mattress will work pretty great to relieve lower back pain, regardless of your sleeping position. Your spinal alignment will improve and this mattress will maintain its comforting shape.
LUCID L300 Adjustable Bed Base with 10 Inch Latex Hybrid Mattress
It is a unique combination of an adjustable bed with a comforting mattress. You get an adjustable bed equipped with hinges for easy folding and shipping. In addition, you get a comfortable 10” latex hybrid mattress. This mattress is a great choice for those, who like to keep their legs up while taking some rest or want to sit up and change their posture while reading or doing other work in the bedroom.
Classic Brands Cool Gel 2.0 Ultimate Gel Memory Foam 14-Inch Mattress with BONUS 2 Pillows
We have chosen this mattress for those, who want a luxurious product along with all the other features. This mattress is built from premium quality pressure-relieving memory foam coupled with high-density aerated cool gel memory foam. Such unique construction of this mattress flawlessly maintains temperature neutrality throughout the year.
It has gel infused ventilated memory foam that offers a luxurious touch to this mattress. You get a smooth and comforting surface to sleep without experiencing sleepless nights anymore. Its high-density base foam works great to relieve pressure points and contours your body perfectly.
Sleep On Latex – Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress
Many individuals experience frequent back pain. This Sleep On Pure Green Natural Latex mattress is designed to make their life more comfortable. You can get two different height variants of this mattress. This mattress can offer targeted pressure relief to your lower back, neck, shoulders, and other body parts prone to pain. This mattress is equipped with a quilted cover, which is prepared from Organic New Zealand wool and organic cotton.
This mattress is designed and produced in Sleep On’s Chicago factory and therefore it can be shipped quickly throughout the USA. You don’t need to assemble anything when you use this mattress. Just place it on your bed and start using it. This mattress is very comforting and also quite cost-effective in comparison to other expensive mattresses.
Perfect Cloud UltraPlush Gel-Max Memory Foam Mattress
This hybrid mattress is featuring two layers of memory foam along with a layer of HD base support foam. Your spinal alignment will be better and its targeted pressure relief will help you in relieving back pain faster. Perfect Cloud has used tested memory foam, which aids in relieving nervous tension that occurs due to back, neck, head, and shoulder pain. If back pain has been a reason of numerous sleepless nights for you, then now is the time to switch your mattress with the 7 UltraPlush Gel-Max Memory Foam Mattress to sleep better and longer during the nights.
How to choose the best mattress for back pain?
When it comes to purchasing the best mattress for back pain there are methods to go by. The worst thing anyone can do when purchasing the best mattress for lower back pain is to rush and not know what they’re looking for, only to take it home and find out it’s not for them.
- Have a firm understanding of mattress options. Are you looking for a mattress that has a classic firmness, but is of higher mechanical technology, or of a mattress that’s plush and works with just a remote? Take two examples, one mattress being memory foam, while the other is a sleep number. The memory foam is the kind of mattress that takes the molding shape of the person’s body when laid on, so this is an excellent choice for those who don’t move around a lot. Sounds great, right? Well, the drawback is that these kinds of mattresses retain the body heat, so you may find yourself in a pool of sweat when waking up. On the other hand, sleep number mattresses are either firm or soft depending on the remote number with a touch of a button. There are no ups or downs, but, unlike the foam mattress, doesn’t hold the memory of your body. Memory Foam mattress, Latex mattress, Innerspring mattress, Air mattress, or Mattress topper—What is the best mattress Type for back pain?
- Understand and research the brand names of bed. Some bed brands out there are well known, while others are not; however, those brands that little are heard of shouldn’t be discredited. There is the case of a well-known bed mattress claiming they’re the best, only to fail in performance, the reason being it doesn’t personally meet your demands to treat your back pain. For instance, a brand name boasts about a high count of the coil, but don’t be fooled as this doesn’t mean it’s a higher quality mattress. Mattress with a large number of independent coils may be better for those who are light sleepers, the reason being when a partner shifts of gets out of bed, you’re not disturbed by the fluctuation.
- Test the mattress before you buy it. That’s correct. It’s like the popular fairytale of Goldilocks and three bears when it comes to testing each one. You’ll discover that not all mattresses are created equal – some are hard and firm as a fist, while others are as soft as a feather, perhaps too soft. Make sure to test out on the most expensive mattresses first, so you can have a feel based on the experience of the thick and firmness. You can go down by mattress price to see the quality difference. Spend at least more than 10 seconds on each bed mattress. If you find a mattress you enjoy; however, it’s too expensive you may negotiate with a salesperson to lower the price.
Mike Nikko is a blogger with over 15 years of experience. I will bring you the best product reviews and other useful life experiences, tips to increase height, tips to improve health… If you have any questions, feel free to ask Mike Nikko!