Black & Decker SM1620 Steam Mop with Smart Select Technology offers one of the highest steam temperatures on the market. This unit heats water to a temperature of 190 degrees Celsius/374 degrees Fahrenheit in order to kill 99% of the bacteria, germs and mites it encounters. The steam kills the germs after exiting the mop head as it cools and condenses on flooring. Steam is produced quickly, usually within 15 seconds of initializing the heating cycle.
At a mere three pounds the Black and Decker steam mop is lightweight. The unit has a generous 25 foot cord and is easy to assemble right out of the box.
The SM1620 offers patented Smart Select Technology, which offers three settings for a variety of hardwood floorings: wood/laminate, stone/marble/ and tile vinyl. The water tank is illuminated and shifts from red (not ready) to blue (ready) once the water has heated to the correct temperature and the steam pressure is at optimum levels. The tank has a generous water capacity, good for up to 25 minutes of steam mopping. It is also located high on the unit so that there is no bending or stooping to refill.
As with any steam appliance, the SM1620 is safe for all SEALED floors, steam should never be used on any type of unsealed flooring, especially wooden flooring. Steam can also fog built up waxes and chemicals on other surfaces—it is advisable to strip as much built up residue from the flooring before engaging the SM1620. Tap water can be used in this unit, however distilled water is highly recommended in hard water areas to prevent mineral build up in the steam jets. As a preventative measure, use of distilled water may well prevent steam jet problems even in non-hard water areas and extend the life of the machine.
The SM1620 has a highly maneuverable swivel head that allows it to reach into even the most problematic corners. The three cleaning pads that come with the product are machine washable and dryable although for best results it is recommended that the pads be allowed to air dry.. The unit has a locking handle which cuts off steam flow when fully upright. A slight tilt to the handle will begin steam flow once more. The SM1620 comes with a resting storage pad to protect flooring from any water that may be produced by the mop head as it cools in the upright position.
- Deep cleans floors and kills 99.9-Percent of germs, mites, and bacteria
- Steam heats to 190 degrees Celsius/374 degree Fahrenheit.
- Cleans chemical-free.
- Large, easy-fill water tank provides over 25 minutes of cleaning
- Tank light changes color from red (not ready) to blue (ready).
- Water heats up in just 15 seconds.
- Smart Select dial controls amount of steam according to flooring type.
- Safe on all sealed hard floors – including hardwoods.
- Swivel head for ease of maneuverability.
- Cleaning pads machine washable. Wash, dry and reuse.
- Stands upright to store.
- Uses tap water (distilled recommended in hard water areas).
- Measures: 20” H. x 5.6” W. x 12” D
- Weight: 3 lb. (7.4 lb shipping weight)
What’s in the Box:
- Steam Mop
- 25-foot power cord
- Three washable/reusable microfiber cleaning pads
- Resting/storage mat.
- Water cup
- Two Year Warranty
Recently found on Amazon for $72.63
- Easy to assemble right out of box, with clear instructions provided.
- When mop fully upright, steam stops flowing
- Resting mat included to protect floors from leakage and steam.
- Can refill tank mid cleaning no cool down necessary
- Swivel head and tilting handle
- Water tank high on machine, no bending to fill
- Cleaning pads stay in place; wash well and machine dry with no shrinkage
- Handle could be longer; it is a bit short for taller people
- Handle prone to breakage, should be sturdier.
- Steam comes from one hole in bottom of unit, does not distribute steam evenly over cleaning surface
- In assembly all parts must click together firmly or no steam will be produced
- Center of cleaning pad doesn’t make full contact with floor, only cleaning around rim where there is support.
- Durability issues, some users report unit stopped making steam and leaked water after only a few uses.
Mike Nikko is a blogger with over 15 years of experience. I will bring you the best product reviews and other useful life experiences, tips to increase height, tips to improve health… If you have any questions, feel free to ask Mike Nikko!