Acne is not a serious health problem, but it negatively affects one’s physical and mental health to some extent or completely. Those who have been struggling with this problem for years are more likely to feel unconfident, unhealthy or even stressed. So, how to get rid of acne and heal your skin fast? Don’t worry, Deliventura have listed the top 9 effective tips from the top dermatologists that you can easily do by yourself.
Wash your face daily and properly
To help prevent pimples or acne, you have to wash your face daily and properly. Why do we need “ properly” here? We already know that washing your face helps to remove dirt, sweat and excess oil. However, if you wash your face too much, it actually can cause the skin to produce even more oil in order to rebalance your skin. So, you should avoid washing more than twice a day because this might do more harm than good.
How to wash your face properly?
- Wet your face with lukewarm water, not hot water.
- Use Stop Acne Sabonete, a bar of mild soap for washing your face with acne, pimples, and blackheads, or apply an alcohol-free cleanser in a circular and gentle motion with your fingers.
- Then rinse thoroughly and pat dry with a clean towel.
In case you are in a rush, it is okay to wipe up your face with a stash of face wipes, i.e. when you are about to be late for work or school and you don’t have time to wash your face.
Know your skin type to select suitable skincare products
Since anyone can have acne regardless of their skin type, it is very important to know your skin to take the best care of it. When knowing your skin type, you easily select the right skincare products. For instance, if you have oily skin, you should avoid moisturizers for dry skin, because it can cause clogged pores, similarly, you shouldn’t use skincare products that are labeled with “no sebum” for your dry skin, as it can make you feel tight and flaky.
Once you choose the right products for your skin, it is better to give them time to work (at least 6 to 8 weeks), do not change a different one every few days, or it only irritates your skin and makes new breakouts.
Exfoliate gently and regularly
Besides washing your face, you can sometimes exfoliate to remove the top layer of dead skin cells before they can join with oil and block pores. This step helps you reduce acne a great deal. Although there are many kinds of exfoliation products, you can totally create your own one which is budget friendly and effective at home:
- Mix equal parts of salt (or sugar) and coconut oil.
- Gently rub this mixture on your skin with a soft and clean facial brush. Do not use a brush because it can keep bacteria.
- Then rinse well.
- Exfoliate up to twice per week.
- In case you have delicate skin, you should consult your dermatologist before doing so.
Moisturize your skin
Moisturizers play a crucial role in dealing with acne, even if your skin type is oily. Using moisturizers help your skin to stay hydrated and prevent oil glands from producing too much oil if the skin surface is too dry. Therefore, hydrating your skin surface with a suitable moisturizer will rebalance the oil glands, control acne, and improve healing.
However, many moisturizers contain oil, synthetic fragrance, or other ingredients that may irritate skin and cause pimples. So before making a purchase, you’d better avoid those ingredients. In case you prefer a natural remedy, aloe vera is also a good option since this tropical plant includes sulfur and salicylic acid, which are popular for dealing with acne.
How to use it?
- Scrape the gel from an aloe plant out
- Apply it directly to clean your skin. Or you can mix it with tea tree oil or tretinoin cream.
- Repeat 1 or 2 times per day or as desired.
You also buy aloe vera gel from the store, but make sure to check it is pure aloe and has no added ingredients.
Limit or skip makeup but remember to wear sunblock
It can be said that wearing makeup is the fastest way to cover blemishes or acne; however, these beauty products are one of the main culprits behind acne breakouts. You can opt for natural products, oil-free cosmetics without extra chemicals and dyes instead. Remember to select makeup products that are labeled sheer, fragrance-free, and noncomedogenic. It is also important to wash your makeup off at the end of the day.
As some acne medication might make your skin more sensitive to sunlight, you should limit your time in the sun and wear sunblock and protective clothing to prevent acne. Always search for “noncomedogenic” on the label to make new acne less likely to occur.
Avoid touching your face too often
We know that it can be tough to limit the times you touch your face during the day, especially if it is your habit or sometimes you just do it unconsciously like resting your chin on your hand, rubbing your hand on your face etc. Well, you need to know that your hands can transfer bacteria onto your skin as they encounter bacteria and grime constantly during the day. Thus, it is important to wash your hands regularly and try not to touch your face as much as possible.
Another important note is not to use your hands to squeeze or pop pimples because these actions might make inflammation and blemishes worse. In case you cannot resist squeezing it, especially when it is ready to blow, you can press it with your clean hands, and remember to apply cotton-tipped applicators to prevent scarring.
Feed your skin with a healthy diet
To get the best results, besides the above methods which help your skin reduce acne from outside, you can stop acne naturally by tailoring your diet to tackle the issue from within. A diet which contains high-protein and low-glycemic foods can help get rid of acne. Here are the top foods to build up your skin’s defense.
- Kale: Make a cup of kale smoothie or saute it as a side dish for lunch or dinner. Vitamin C in this low-calorie superfood will help promote collagen formation and repair acne scars quicker.
- Lemon: Squeeze fresh lemon into a cup of warm water and drink it on an empty stomach every morning. This fresh juice works as a natural astringent, which helps blur blemishes and tighten skin texture.
- Sweet potatoes: A creamy soup of sweet potatoes or baked fries is an easy way to get good benefits for your skin all year.
- Papayas: These yummy fruits are fabulous in smoothies, salsa, or sorbet. You can try it topically to exfoliate dead skin cells, fade acne scars, unclog pores, prevent any breakouts, and hydrate skin.
- Pumpkin: A tasty soup of pumpkin or add pumpkin puree into pancake batter or roast their seeds. Loaded with good enzymes, this fruit can restore pH balance and regulate the amount of oil production effectively.
You should also cut down on junk foods, greasy foods, and some dairy products that might trigger acne. Or if possible, you can take supplements for skin that help nourish your skin and prevent acnes from forming.
Although stress and depression don’t actually create acne, they definitely make it worse. When you are under stress, your body produces oil-stimulating hormones.
You can manage your stress by trying stress-busting activities such as listening to music, going to bed early, practicing yoga, taking a warm bath, meditating, or taking deep breaths.
Visit your dermatologist
If all tips ablove do not work best for your acne problems, we suggest you should visit and talk to your dermatologist. They will address your issue by giving a suitable treatment, you have to follow that treatment alongside with a good self care to achieve good results.
We hope that this article might help you deal with your acne effectively!
- Related post: Natural skin care for sensitive skin
Mike Nikko is a blogger with over 15 years of experience. I will bring you the best product reviews and other useful life experiences, tips to increase height, tips to improve health… If you have any questions, feel free to ask Mike Nikko!