Baking soda is always available in your kitchen cabinet. But have you ever thought of using it to take care of your skin? It might sound crazy yet the fact that baking soda delivers a variety of benefits for your skin. The article below will give you a couple of ways of whitening skin with baking soda.
Is baking soda effective for skin whitening?
Yes, it is.
Baking soda is considered beneficial to remove patchy and dark skin because it includes amazing exfoliating properties. Lack of exfoliation results in dead skin cells on the top layer of the skin, making it look uneven and dull. Using baking soda will help reveal a brighter complexion.
Also, it aids in recovering the pH level of the skin and neutralizing the acid-alkaline nature of the skin. As a result, it prevents skin from being too dry or oily and darkening. What is more, it contains cleansing properties to get rid of toxins and impurities that might cause skin discoloration.
However, remember that baking soda should not be used to wash your face alone because it might provoke the skin. Therefore, it is recommended to combine it with other natural ingredients to make a suitable skin utilization.
How to whiten skin with baking soda?
Using baking soda for skin whitening will become easier if you follow the 6 simplest methods below.
Water and baking soda
This is one of the easiest and simplest ways to use baking soda for gaining fair skin complexion.
- Mix water and baking soda in a 1:2 ratio until you get a smooth paste.
- Put it on the areas of your skin you want to brighten and massage gently
- Leave it to sit for minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and then cold water.
- Do 2 or 3 times per week.
- Make a paste as suggested above.
- Add it to your regular facial cleanser.
- Mix everything well and use it to wash your face daily.
- Note: this method is helpful for those with oily skin types.
Lemon and baking soda
Lemon includes an excellent amount of vitamin C, which is necessary in brightening skin tone. It also gets rid of the impurities from the skin and promotes new cell growth to help you get fair skin. Since vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant in lightening skin, it plays a vital role in enhancing collagen production, which might keep the skin smooth and firm.
Here is the common lemon and baking soda facial pack that you should try.
- Mix well one tablespoon baking soda, some water, and a little lemon juice.
- Put this paste on the dark areas of your skin.
- Massage gently for a few minutes.
- Leave it here for 5-8 minutes before rinsing with cool water.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times per week.
Apple cider vinegar and baking soda
Being acidic in nature, apple cider vinegar helps get rid of every trace of dirt and impurities inside the pores, brighten discoloration, clear up the skin, and promote new cell growth. It is also a natural astringent, which can absorb more oil from the skin and nourish the skin from within. As a result, it gives you a fair and brighter skin tone.
- Mix well two tablespoons baking soda and some apple cider vinegar to make a thick paste.
- Put it on the affected areas of the skin.
- Massage in a circular motion and leave it to sit for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with plain water.
- Repeat 2-3 times per week.
- Note: If your skin is sensitive, you should add a few drops of water to the mixture.
Honey and baking soda
Combining honey and baking soda for face whitening is a good option because honey helps get rid of excess oil from the face to make it look glowing. Thanks to its humectant properties, it can lock moisture in the skin to keep it hydrated, supple, and fair. Also, it is able to release hydrogen peroxide, which supports lightening skin complexion.
- Mix well some honey and baking soda to get a smooth paste.
- Put it on the dark areas of the skin.
- Massage gently and let it sit for 10-12 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process 1-2 times per week.
Coconut oil and baking soda
Coconut oil is an amazing moisturizer, which helps soften the skin and remove uneven and patchy skin tone. Not only does it contain a great number of antioxidants for skin whitening but it is also rich in vitamin E to deal with pigmentation. Also, the fatty acids and other nutrients in this oil add nourishment to the skin cells to lower skin discoloration.
- Mix well coconut oil and a tablespoon of baking soda.
- Add some drops of fresh lemon juice (optionally).
- Put the paste all over the areas of the skin and gently massage for 1-2 minutes.
- Leave it to stay on the skin for some minutes.
- Wash off with fresh water
- Repeat 2-3 times per week.
Olive oil and baking soda
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants, which help improve skin tone and treat irritation and inflammation of the skin. It is rich in other nutrients, which further repair skin damage and restore fair skin. Besides, it comes with natural exfoliating properties that can dissolve the extra oil on the skin to unveil bright, fair, and healthy skin. What is more, the emollient properties of olive oil play a vital role in maintaining the skin hydrated and supple.
- Mix a teaspoon of each baking soda and olive oil in a bowl.
- Add drops of honey and mix all until achieving a smooth paste.
- Put it on the dark areas of your skin.
- Massage gently with your fingertips.
- Leave it to sit on the skin for some minutes before washing off with fresh and cool water.
- Repeat 2-3 times per week.
Not only does baking soda have a direct skin whitening effect but it also delivers many things to keep the skin youthful and radiant. It unclogs pores, exfoliates dead cells, gets rid of blemishes, and removes bacterial infections to bring a skin whitening effect. And the range of ways to use baking soda for skin whitening is boundless. By applying one of the 6 above ways, you are guaranteed to get a radiant and healthy look.
Just one thing, you must follow the instructions carefully because overusing baking soda might give any unexpected side effects.
Do not mind leaving us which method you are using and what your experience is! We would love to hear everything from you!
- Related post: Top 9 effective tips on how to get smooth skin on face
Mike Nikko is a blogger with over 15 years of experience. I will bring you the best product reviews and other useful life experiences, tips to increase height, tips to improve health… If you have any questions, feel free to ask Mike Nikko!